CHANGES TO NAME, IMAGE AND LIKENESS RULES
NCAA college athletes now have the opportunity to benefit from their name, image and likeness. All three divisions have adopted a uniform, interim policy suspending NCAA name, image and likeness rules for all incoming and current student-athletes in all sports.
The policy provides the following guidance to member schools, college athletes and their families:
- Individuals can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities may be a resource for state law questions.
- Individuals can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.
- College athletes who attend a school in a state without an NIL law can engage in NIL activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness.
- State law and schools/conferences may impose reporting requirements.
INTERIM POLICY RESOURCES
- Name, Image and Likeness Interim Policy (PDF)
- Name, Image and Likeness Interim Policy Q&A (PDF)
- Quick Guide to New Interim NCAA Policy (PDF)
- New Interim Policy Key Takeaways (PDF)
- Cycle of Individual Engaged in NIL Activities (PDF)
- Considerations for Financial Aid Office (PDF)
- Optional Reporting Form (PDF)
- Video Resources